Monday, December 20, 2010

Sick baby and convincing husband Dave Ramsey is right

This week(well week and a half really) has been exhausting to say the least. Even though Lane was only 3 weeks early, it seems like his immune system is more like that of babies who were much more premature. He's only 6 months old and we're on our 3 cold, he's also had whooping cough, a double ear infection, staph infection, a stomach bug, and a bacterial infection that came on with the stomach bug 3 weeks ago that we are still trying to get rid of. I feel so bad for my little man!

So for the last couple months, we've been trying to follow Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover, but I have had to modify it a little because my husband is still holding on to the idea that debt is a fact of life and having a huge emergency fund is much more important. Since I am staying at home for now, we have had to cut pretty much ALL extras out of our budget until we can move to a cheaper house. He's been really upset that we can't go out on a date if we want or buy Christmas presents for everyone(since we weren't expecting me to be staying home already, we had been counting on my paycheck for Christmas). I think I finally was able to get him to see that while it isn't much fun making these sacrifices right now, in a few years, we will be debt free and have an emergency fund, and THEN we will have the "blow" money to  be able to go out on dates and things like that.

If you don't already know about Dave Ramsey and his Total Money Makeover book, or his Financial Peace University, seriously, check him out  NOW! We are just starting out, but I know several people who have made it through his plan and it is so worth it!

I didn't get to our grocery shopping over the weekend, so now I have to brave WalMart this morning, not looking forward to that! If I didn't have a gift card, I would be skipping WalMart and going to a grocery store, but that gift card is going to cut my bill for this 2 weeks in half, so I guess it's worth dealing with the Christmas crazies! I'm going to try to get over there early on this morning, so maybe it won't be too horrible, but I'm not holding out much hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment